Sunday, February 28, 2010

A New Diet

Recently Louisa was given a strict elimination diet to follow. NO: wheat or gluten, oats, corn, cow or goat's milk, apples, banana, cashews, pecans, peas. What am I missing? Because we are still nursing I am on the same diet.

It is HARD!

In some ways I am happy that I follow her same diet. I feel connected to her and feel like I can better understand her. I feel it is the least sacrifice I can give knowing how miserable she is. However it is not easy finding foods with these restrictions. I am tired preparing food for a diverse crowd. I am tired of spending money on food that is good for our bodies. Why does a real chicken cost $2.75 per/lb and a steroid chicken I can find for as little as 98 cents per/lb, for example?
I guess the artifical has always been "easy" and more immediately appealing - I am thinking of the Gospel of Christ. Satan has a counterfeit for everything - and now in these last days: food also. I never thought about it like that before. He is breaking us down physically. Pulling us away from the things of the spirit.

4 comments:

  1. Look for a local Hutterite Colony. They sell a variety of things here for great prices. Their smoked Chickens are really good. Also, you might look into a local CSA or Co-op. It really helps drive down the cost and helps connect you with people that know where to find the best local deals. Seems like a lot in the beginning, but well worth it in the long run. If you want to learn more about why the healthy food costs so much more watch "Food, Inc." or "The Future of Food"(<--This one is available to watch on Hulu) Good Luck! Maybe you should make a list of all the foods you can eat! Might make you feel less deprived ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, So sorry to hear about Louisa's diet - sounds like mine - as well as no eggs, nightshades, sugar or fruit - Polly & I call it the "dirt and rocks" diet. I can totally relate to the cooking several meals thing. I can get so frustrated! and how stinking expensive it is! Trying to be patient - let me know what I can do to help! I have a great allergy free cookbook - Allergy Proof Recipes for Kids by Leslie Hammond and Lynne Marie Romminger - I love the recipes in it! Especially the chicken nuggets. One good thing about the diet - keeps weight off of me! You are motivating me to get my blog going on my journeys with all this. I love you my friend!/"""

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blogging world! Isn't it grand?! Love your blog background - it's darling! I am very frustrated with our food industry as well. I always think most food companies don't really care about producing healthy food with healthy ingredients - it is all about how they can sell something at the highest price with the cheapest ingredients, or finding ways to keep things shelf-stable for the longest amount of time. Scary! Heather told me about a food co-op that I am looking to order with this month. You may want to contact them and see where the closest one is to your area. They have co-ops all over the country. They have lots of organic product, dry goods, grains and meats, too. For us there is someone in OOB so we are just going in on it with them and don't have to try to reach the minimum order amount on our own. Good luck and praying for the new diet you and Louise have to eat. I'm sure that is frustrating. Miss you guys and hoping you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last night we watched Food Inc. After watching it, I thought about the adversary and felt sick to my stomach because of this food counterfeit... it is EVERYWHERE. I was up thinking, How am I going to protect my family? We'll need a farm! For 15 months we have struggled with Spencer's egg, milk, and soy allergy. Trying to find foods that he can eat is a chore. It is VERY expensive and even though it is better for us it is WAY more work on my part as I shop, read labels, and prepare food. I hope things go well for you and Louisa. It's an adjustment but in the long run if you can get a handle on it your whole family will be that much better off.

    ReplyDelete